Finding a web development company is not an issue. However, choosing the right one can be not the easiest task.
The number of web development companies is constantly growing. They all specialize in different types of businesses, industries, and technologies. How can you make sure they will deliver your website on time? How can you check their expertise and experience?
Let’s see what will help you make this choice.
1. Pay attention to reviews
Such popular services as Goodfirms or Clutch publish lists of the most trustworthy web development companies. The lists are based on such criteria as market presence, corresponding experience, and verified client reviews.
Such platforms as Upwork, PeoplePerHour, Fiverr, or Freelancer also offer work history and reviews for the teams and specialists.
My recommendation would be to read the testimonials left by the customers. This way, you will understand the company’s background, their specialization, and the scope of projects they have built.
If you’re hesitant, you can try talking to their existing clients to make the final choice. They can share with you their experience on how the company follows the requirements and communicates. Thanks to clients’ reviews, you’ll understand if the company is responsible and truly engaged in each project.
2. Check portfolio
Look through a company’s portfolio published on their website and showcasing their works. It will help you check their relevant experience working on similar products or for the same industry. Besides, the portfolio gives a valuable insight into the domain the provider specializes in.
The company’s website design, content, and social media profiles may help you understand if they have a professional approach to development. Website is a brand identity for customers. So, if a web development provider takes care of their own UX and UI, then, most likely, they will build a product for you in the same quality manner.
If the company does not present their case studies on the website, look at their profiles on such platforms as Behance and Dribble. You’ll discover their approach to creating the design for solutions.
3. Learn about the development approach and reporting
The product development approach is another thing that is worth checking. Learn what approach the company applies to development.
There are two main methods: waterfall and agile. In the waterfall approach, a team moves to the next step after completing the previous one. An agile approach implies that a team works with small stages verifying that the solution works properly at each phase.
If you are a startup owner, I recommend adopting the agile methodology. The development team checks the solution’s proper work at every small step. So, it won’t take long to improve the solution if needed. As a result, you save resources and effort for development.
Also, I advise you to inquire about the reporting system that the company adopts. The team’s reports on daily results and operational chat should be available to you. Such transparency ensures that you’re informed about the current progress of your web solution development.
4. Talk to the team before signing a contract
Make sure you easily communicate with the people engaged in developing your website. Also, check if they contact you through many channels, such as phone or messengers. A professional team that responds to you quickly is the key to the project’s success.
Development of your website must involve experienced specialists. If the team has been working together for a long time, they are likely professionals knowing how to deliver your website in the best way.
Another important aspect is your part in the development process. Contact the company and discuss your involvement while the team builds your web solution. It is good practice that the company shares relevant discussions and documents with you. Check that you can pass changes or improvements to the team if you need them. This way, the team will be able to adjust the development process for your project.
5. Discover technologies they use in development
There are many programming languages, frameworks, and development environments. That’s why it’s quite challenging to understand if the company applies the technologies that serve your needs best.
So, there are questions that you can ask the company to clear things up:
- How long have they used the technologies suggested to you?
- Why do they choose the particular technologies?
- Do they follow the latest search engine requirements and web standards?
- How do they ensure the security of your website?
A company with solid experience would suggest the tech stack that ensures your website’s reliability and efficient work. If a company has years of proven work using particular technologies, that might be the right choice.
6. Learn about a company’s services
Check what services a company provides at developing your website. There are typical stages that are considered a good practice. They include the following:
- Product discovery. The stage involves research and analysis that helps learn if the product is profitable. At this point, the company discovers the market potential of your product.
- Planning. Depending on the functionality to be included in the website, the company forms a team with dedicated tasks.
- Creating design. Making intuitive UX and appealing UI is vital for your solution. Design highlights the uniqueness of your brand.
- Building an MVP. Minimum viable product, or MVP, is the preliminary form of your product that includes the main features. This is a workable version that helps to launch your web solution early and gather feedback from users. Based on it, you can improve your product.
- QA and optimization. Thorough testing and check of code efficiency ensure proper work of your website and secure it from cyber threats.
- Maintenance and support. The right company will assist you in the following improvements to your website. It will help you make changes to your website in line with new tech standards and market needs.
If the company walks your website or app through similar stages, it might be a good choice for you.
To sum up
It can be a challenging task to find an experienced web development agency. The company should know the specifics of your industry and understand your business requirements well. They should be an expert in delivering lightweight and fast-loading websites or apps.
However, with some research relying on the above tips, you will find a great team to build the best web solution for you.