VTDigger is a nationally recognized, born-digital nonprofit news organization. We are known for our award-winning investigative reporting and in-depth daily coverage of local and state news. Our mission is to produce rigorous journalism that explains complex issues, holds the government accountable to the public, and engages Vermonters in the democratic process.
At a time when the commercial local news industry is failing, VTDigger is one of a handful of nonprofit news organizations that has developed a model of sustainable funding for local journalism. The organization has grown quickly in just a decade, becoming the go-to source of news for the state of Vermont — with an average of 600,000 unique readers a month and 33 employees. For more about how VTDigger has become the largest news operation in Vermont, click here.
We are seeking a Full-Stack Web Developer to join VTDigger’s growing technology team. The role is to develop, maintain and expand the technologies that power our non-profit digital journalism, including tools on our website, our email newsletter products, a native app and emerging platforms, as well as our business system integrations. You will report to our Chief Product Officer and will work closely with our Creative Director, as well as with revenue and editorial teams as needed.
The ideal candidate has experience working with a wide variety of digital technologies, a passion for journalism and not-for-profit media, and a desire to help grow VTDigger’s technology stack and toolset. The role is one part routine maintenance, enhancement, and performance optimization to our existing suite of products, and one-part development of new reporting products and news tools.
We’re looking for someone who cares deeply about audience, who takes reader feedback seriously and who is proud of developing highly performative tools that scale and are a joy to use.
We are happy to consider remote candidates for this position.
- 3+ years’ back-end programming experience working with WordPress (plugin development and API integration a plus), including php and mysql development.
- Strong fluency with HTML/CSS, including knowledge of CSS preprocessors.
- Experience in modern web development, especially version control and package management tools.
- Experience working in a local development environment using virtual machines/containers.
- Experience building, implementing, and using RESTful APIs.
- Understanding of accessible web development practices
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Tag Manager, and AdManager or other common 3rd party analytics tools.
- Familiarity using New Relic, SEMRush, Lighthouse, and other performance monitoring/enhancement tools.
- Familiarity with API calls to Stripe, Salesforce, Mailchimp, or Paypal.
- Familiarity with news/publishing/media organizations.
How to apply: Please answer the following questions and upload a resume using this form.
Please note: We recognize there are great candidates who may not fit the description above or who have important skills and experiences we haven’t thought of. If that sounds like you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us more about yourself. VTDigger is committed to constantly improving our organization, in part by better reflecting the communities we serve. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive workplace for those of all ages and backgrounds. We especially encourage members of communities that are traditionally underrepresented in media to apply to join our team, including people of color, women, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.